Scientific support

You can find different substrates of both plant and mineral origin. While they have proven to be effective in their use over time and in different countries, the truth is that, in the case of natural origin, the quality and homogeneity can vary from batch to batch, and its characteristics as a substrate will not be optimal. hydroFLAKES® is produced under strict process and quality standards, which always guarantees the same homogeneous particle that provides great benefits to those who use it. hydroFLAKES® has only 2% solid matter and the remaining 98% are cavities, which retain 60% of its water volume and 38% in air.

The next image shows the structure of hydroFLAKES® and hydroFOAM® view in an electron microscope that allows such water and air retention, without material expansion, which makes it very stable in the soil unlike other polymer gels that expand with contact with water causing soil movements. With the roots able to grow directly through the substrate, all its volume is available for root development.

As a result of this structure:

  • Roots penetrate homogeneously
  • Root hairs grow easily inside and through the substrate
  • There is a greater amount of nutrients and oxygen available
  • Healthier, stronger roots

The foam is created by mixing two liquids, one resin, which is manufactured only by us in Mexico and Holland, and a hardener. Through a compressed air-operated mixing gun, the two liquids are forced through a filter to produce the foam. Once the foam is formed it goes through a curing, drying, neutralizing (hydroFLAKES®Plus) process, until it is crushed to become the hydroFLAKES® flakes.

hydroFLAKES® can be used mixed with soil or other substrate, improving its water retention capacity or can be used without mixing, 100% in hydroponics (hydroFLAKES®Plus).

hydroFLAKES® has excellent capillarity, excellent aeration and its technology releases water slowly. Its pH is between 2 and 3 in demineralized water, and in the case of hydroFLAKES®Plus has pH neutral. It has a useful life of 7 to 10 years in optimal conditions. HydroFLAKES® can be used for open pit, protected, hydroponic, small or large landscaping projects, green roofs, vertical gardens, tree planting, etc.

It is easy to handle and apply in large or small quantities. Transportable in all bag sizes or in bulk. The high water retention capacity and air permeability of hydroFLAKES® ensure a gradual release of nutrients and absorbed water. These factors have an extremely positive effect on germination and also encourage faster and finer rooting.

hydroFOAM® is a biodegradable and environmentally safe product that is injected into the soil and helps to increase the volume of the roots of the pasture, allowing finer and deeper roots to develop. This improves the turf’s ability to absorb and retain water, substantially reducing its consumption.

hydroFOAM® can be used on sports fields and golf courses to improve water retention capacity on the ground.

In addition to generating splendid and uniform growth, this improves the restoration capacity of the lawn. In other words, with hydroFOAM® you’ll get better results and lower water and electricity costs.

For application on football fields and golf courses, it can be incorporated into the root areas during construction, thus achieving the ideal environment for the growth of quality lawns, or during routine renovation or maintenance.

Mixing hydroFOAM® in the soil at a depth of 30 cm, encourages deeper root development by generating a longer and larger root density, and increasing moisture absorption from the root. The air stored within the hydroFOAM structure® prevents the soil from compacting completely, further improving the regeneration of grass growth, especially in areas with intensive use.

The foam substrate in general is successfully applied in several “green” segments such as: sports fields, nurseries, agriculture, landscaping, ceilings and green walls.

The product can be applied at the beginning of a new project to create an optimal development environment for plants/trees, but also then within existing structures to improve the real environment. The most important feature in all applications is the high efficiency of water use combined with an aerated growth environment for optimal plant growth and development in all circumstances